Sometimes we feel like we need 36 hours in the day instead of 24. Why? Seems like we just can’t get everything done in one day. We utilize every strategy there is to get things done in a timely manner, but we keep running out of time.
Let’s all take a breath.
How often do you get distracted by different things when you are trying to complete a task? Most likely you lose track of time because of these distractions. The real task is avoiding getting interrupted. When you are distracted by other things, you spend more time than you anticipated on your task or projects.
Here are some simple steps you can follow before you start your project to use your time more effectively:
- Make a plan of how much time you would like to spend on your project.
- Put down the time you actually will spend working on it from start to finish and stick to the plan as closely as possible.
- Set aside some time for interruptions.
- This way you don’t take the actual time that you would spend on the project away.
- Interruptions are inevitable so you should be prepared for them.
- Always make a schedule for your day, such as, when to focus on your project or when to take a little break.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start your project.
Remember, you’re bound to make more mistakes if you work too quickly. Check the work. Then double check. One more time.
Time management is one of the hardest skills to learn. Fortunately, like everything else, practice makes perfect. If you make it a habit, you’ll notice that you’ll get more done in a day.